Saturday, February 2, 2013

Nellie Harrington Hadd


Nellie Harrington was my Grandmother.
Born September 17, 1892 in Petersburg, Monroe, Michigan, United States
Daughter of William Harrington and Fidelia N. Ordaway
Sister of Hattie Mae Harrington, May Harrington, Clara Harrington, Nellie Hadd and Ella Harrington
Wife of George Thomas Hadd — married February 25, 1907 in Omer, Arenac, Michigan, United States
Mother of George Henry Hadd and Sylvia (Selvia, Silvia) Margueritte Hadd
Died November 16, 1918 in Adrian, Lenawee, Michigan, United States

My Grandmother died during the influenza pandemic of 1918. Her death certificate lists peritonitis as a result of influenza. I didn't know the flu could cause peritonitis.

She left my Mom an orphan. To be honest, I don't know what happened to my Grandfather because he was still alive. I assume he was in the war because her Grandmother and Aunt told Mom they received payment for her from her Father because of the war. Again, I'm not sure why he never went back for her and it affected her. She missed him and was almost in agony when she found out he lived until the '80's without contacting her.

Her name is spelled differently depending on which year's census you look at. I've included all the spellings here. She always spelled her name, "Sylvia".

George Henry Hadd died in infancy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment